Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lucky us


Well, after all this time, this blog has turned into precisely what I hoped it wouldn't and the main focus really is all about fertility or rather infertility.

The last 6 months has seen many, many tests and both N and I have deposited various types of bodily fluid over this South American city. On the upside I have expanded my weak Spanish script from restaurant Spanish to clinic Spanish. Countless google searches, scans and trying to conceive website habit.

For a couple of months I took some medication to lower a slightly raised prolactin level which turned out to be a red herring but I clung to it tightly, as popping those pills allowed me to feel I was taking back just a little control in our quest to start a family. Plus, the potential that a benign growth on my pituitary gland (prolactinoma) was to blame somehow restored a little dignity and femininity to my feelings about my body (as if I haven't already worked hard enough to mend the shattered connection between my mind and body).

Now I just need to get my tubes dyed and dusted whilst checking out a cheeky little polyp that has moved in, you can hardly blame it for setting up camp in such a vacant space. N and I have to have all our tests redone and then we make the decision on IUI (which looks unlikely) or straight to ICSI. Roll on mid-december. Muchos pesos but trying not to think too much about it.

So much uncertainty but somehow I feel slightly more in control dealing with infertility than dealing with the unknown and I know we wouldn't be where we are were it not for some white (grey) lies and and a lot of pushing the Doctors here in this strange foreign land!

2 comments:

  1. LOL about the restaurant Spanish to clinic Spanish. After my ectopic in Spain last year mine changed from restaurant to hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I think 'but the Dr he told me...' is the most frequently used line here for pesky phlebotomists and (just like the UK) useless receptionists.

    ReplyDelete